I have spent the past few months using Jayhawk’s excellent set of Emperor Glyphs to create this fairly large (and, as yet, incomplete) Emperor Glyph-City (current version2a). In order to achieve this, I have performed the following steps:
· Opened the Emperor Heaven Glyphy Legend files with Microsoft PhotoDraw.
· Copied and pasted the required glyphs onto a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet whose individual cells measure:
o Width --- 14.29 (which is exactly equivalent to 21 tiles)
o Height --- 53 (which is exactly equivalent to 14 tiles)
· Worked at 300 percent magnification --- for tricky sections 400 per cent is even better --- in order to optimally fit the individual Emperor Heaven Glyphy Legend files together. 100 per cent magnification (or smaller) is good for a panoramic view of the city.
The current product (largely due to the high quality of Jayhawk’s glyphs) is actually fairly impressive to behold. Even as a zipped file, it is approximately 5MB in size --- as it currently consists of over 90 000 individual glyphs. The final product could be well in excess of double this size. The following additions are envisaged for the final product:
· Completion of the Elite Housing on the left side of the map (symmetrical to that appearing on the right side).
· Completion of the hill --- with the road leading up it forming a pair of double hairpins (switchbacks) to the left and below.
· Below the double hairpins (switchbacks) to the left and below would be a series of farms on the lowest two levels of the hill.
· Below the farms (at the foot of the hill) would lie the common housing --- generously spread out to the left and below the currently constituted map.
· Various industrial structures would lie at a lower level (beneath the common housing) near the foot of the map
I am hoping that by uploading this Emperor Glyph-City to the Emperor Heaven Downloads section, it might well inspire other fans to try to create their own cities on Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. This format incorporating Jayhawk’s Emperor glyphs should certainly permit an unparalleled degree of creativity --- insofar as the designer would be able to:
· Employ a map SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the 224x224 tile maximum offered by the current version of the game. In fact, by using the above quoted measurements for individual cells, one would be able to employ a near infinite sized map of 10000+ (length) x 5000+ (width) tiles.
· Design the supporting background terrain structures and the accompanying individual buildings at the same time. This capability SIGNIFICANTLY improves upon the functional playability offered by the current version of the game. In fact, this particular improvement provides the aspirant designer with the ability of spontaneously creating cities of near infinite variety. This capability is presently sorely lacking in the current Campaign Creator.
Hopefully some of the "Powers-that-Be" at Impressions Games might be prepared to look at my Emperor Glyph-City and consider the possibility of incorporating some form of “free-build” format into the game that would permit the development of larger and more complex cities (such that I have managed to create with Jayhawk’s glyphs). I must admit that I find the current Emperor maps and cities (although no doubt historically accurate) are extremely cramped and do not readily permit the development of more interesting and aesthetically pleasing geometrically designed cities. Perhaps the "Powers-that-Be" at Impressions Games might be prepared to consider a creative solution to this problem?
Please feel free to provide any feedback to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org